[Bristol-Birds] Savannah Sparrows, Elizabethton, TN

  • From: AHoodedWarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 15:11:09 -0400

About 11:30 a.m. on April 6, I found a large mud puddle at the end of a deadend
road near the BoJangle's Restaurant in Elizabethton. I checked out the puddle
for shorebirds, but was surprised instead to find three Savannah Sparrows. The
sparrows were foraging in the disturbed construction area and on clods of dirt
in the puddle itself. These were some very well-marked birds, and the yellow
lores were very prominent. They looked like they had stepped right out of a
field guide.

A little later, at Tipton-Haynes Historic Site in Johnson City, I heard my
first Black-and-White Warbler of the spring.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN