[Bristol-Birds] Sandhill Cranes feeding near Painter Springs

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 21:20:21 -0500

Painter Springs
Holston Valley
Sullivan Co., TN

Today, after five weeks of searching, the three Sandhill Cranes
wintering in Holston Valley east of Bristol in Sullivan County, TN
were found on or near their daily feeding grounds.

My wife, Carolyn, and I discovered the birds on Painter Rd.
about 500 yards NW of TN Hwy 44.  This is just across Hwy 44
from an unharvested stand of field corn.  The birds were walking
along Painter Creek down stream from Painter Springs.

We saw the birds at 12:25 p.m.  Rick Knight and Ellen Parker
found the cranes 28 Dec 2008 as the cranes were going to
roost near Musick's Campground along South Holston Lake.
The birds have been seen once since as they were returning
late in the evening to the same area near the campground.

There are many stubble fields scattered along Hwy 44 and on
farms in the vicinity. While today's observation was the first
away from the roosting site,  it is probably close to the winter
feeding areas.  More searching will be needed to pin down a
reliable site.

Let's go birding . . .