[Bristol-Birds] Sandhill Crane, Canvasback, Bald Eagle, etc. (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: Alice Loftin / Don Miller <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 19:10:15 -0500 (EST)

February 14, 2009

Greene County: Greeneville, Mosheim, and numerous backroad sites in the western
portion of the county

Highlights from a few very pleasurable car-birding hours today--

Canvasback (10, Guinn Dr.)
Ring-necked Duck (4, Gravel Woods Rd.)

Great Blue Heron (13 standing on nests, viewable at intersection of Pate's Hill
Rd. / Jackson Hollow Rd.)

Bald Eagle (immature, Bewley's Bridge (located on Hwy. 340 about a mile from
the Cocke Co. line))
Merlin (Hwy. 340 0.5 mi. east of Turner Ln.)

Sandhill Crane (4, Murray Bridge Rd. 0.2 mi. west of Easterly Rd.; the birds
preened, "danced" a bit with spread wings, then flew east, disappearing over
the Joachime Bible Refuge unit of Lick Creek Bottoms Wildlife Management Area)

Eurasian Collared-Dove (Mosheim, about 0.75 mi. from West Greene High School)

Horned Lark (8, Green Rd.)

American Pipit (3, Seay Way)

Rusty Blackbird (6, Hwy. 340 0.4 mi. east of Turner Ln.; there were probably at
least four times that many, but I could not find a convenient place to pull
over, and the birds kept moving actively, so I gave up trying to count after
only a few minutes)

[Today is the first date in 2009 when I have found all five expectable winter
Icterids: Red-winged Blackbird, Eastern Meadowlark, Rusty Blackbird, Common
Grackle, Brown-headed Cowbird.]

Purple Finch (3).

Don Miller
Greeneville, Greene Co., TN