[Bristol-Birds] S Holston Weir

  • From: John Whinery <foshildgc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 18:10:35 -0800 (PST)

Made my first trip to South Holston Weir this afternoon and am a novice with
ducks so no guarantees and I didn't count.
 If anyone who knows ducks and is willing to join me sometime I'll drive. I'll
be coming from Fall Branch area.

From 1st bridge ♂ & ♀ Mallard, Kingfisher and what I thought was both a ♂ & ♀
American Wigeon until I checked the range map tonight. So little traffic I
parked in middle of bridge for 5 minutes or so consulting Peterson and thought
the ID was OK.

Parking lot Weir - numerous Mallard ♂ & ♀, Redhead ♂ & ♀, Bufflehead ♂ & ♀,
American Wigeon ♂ several species that I just could not decide, a killdeer,
Great Blue Heron.

Was hard to get good pictures, runners on the island kept scattering the
waterfowl and it was too cold for me to sit on the benches for long waiting for
them to come close.

Nothing on lake side of dam.