[Bristol-Birds] Rufous Hummingbird (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: Don Miller <raincrow@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol-Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Butternuts <butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 22:32:33 -0500

January 12, 2005

A month or so ago, I sent a post regarding an unidentified hummingbird
here in Greeneville.  Today, thanks to the efforts of Bob Sargent, Chris
Sloan, and Fred Moore, I am able to issue this follow-up, with a
positive ID on the bird.

Initially, Chris Sloan had planned to come from Nashville during the
first weekend of January to band the bird.  However, he was unable to
make the trip, and Bob Sargent generously agreed to come instead.

Yesterday, Bob captured the bird and discovered that it had already been
banded.  After checking his records, he e-mailed me today to say that
this bird is the adult female Rufous Hummingbird that was banded in
Greeneville on November 25, 2003 by Fred Moore.  Interestingly, the bird
was banded at a house across the street from where it is presently a
regular visitor.  More intriguingly, immediately after the bird was
banded in fall of 2003, it stopped coming to the feeder where it was
caught and began using the feeder across the street at the house where
it has been appearing regularly since October 16, 2004, and where it was
recaptured yesterday.

On both captures, the bird's physical condition was judged to be
strong.  After examining it yesterday, Bob Sargent informed the hummer's
"landlord" that, in terms of molt status and percentage of fat, it
appeared ready to depart in the near future.

Last year, this bird was first observed on October 15 and was last seen
on February 26.  Needless to say, we are keeping a daily watch to
determine its departure date this year.

Now if only it could be captured on the breeding ground so that we could
know where it spends the summer . . . .

Many thanks to Bob Sargent, Chris Sloan, and Fred Moore for their help.

Don Miller
Greeneville, TN