[Bristol-Birds] Roseate Spoonbill - Hawkins County

  • From: Rick Phillips <sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 19:00:31 -0400

I relocated the immature Roseate Spoonbill at Phipps Bend in Hawkins County
today (Sat, 8/21) around 5:00 pm. The bird was foraging towards the south
end of the first pond along with a number of other waders. Met Don and Alice
Miller on their way in as I left around 5:30-5:45 pm. Said they had been
there earlier in the day and did not see the bird. From what I can gather
looking at the birds seen by different observers from different times, their
seems to be a continuous movement of waders into and out of the pond areas
we are searching at various times of the day. Might be worth hanging around
a bit if you are going to look for the spoonbill.

Birds seen around 5:00 pm

Great Egret (16)
Little Blue Heron (4)
Great Blue Heron (2)