[bristol-birds] Roan Mountain, TN/NC Butterfly Count

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, valeps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,Cbslist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 12:05:45 EDT

Hey all you brainy, binocular-toting nature lovers, bring your keen powers of
observation to Roan Mountain, TN/NC. Saturday, July 20 for a fun day of
butterfly-watching.  The event is open to the public.  Beginners and children
are welcome.  We will meet at the big green waterwheel beside the old
visitors' center in Roan Mtn. State Park (TN) at 10:00 am.  We will carpool
to count butterflies in the park and at Hampton Creek Cove State Natural Area
until lunchtime.  You can bring your lunch, or stop at the country store to
purchase something to take up to Twin Springs Recreation Area where we will
meet for lunch (and a few more butterflies!).  After lunch we will proceed up
the mountain with maybe a few stops, ending up at the Rhododendron Gardens
(there will be a small US Forest Service fee for each car).  There we will
walk around the loop, hopefully finding a few (dozens? hundreds?) of
Aphrodite Fritillaries.  Come on out to join the fun, and bring a friend or
young person to introduce to the joys of nature observation.
     Any experienced butterfliers who wish to independently count butterflies
in areas not previously mentioned should contact me so I can coordinate our
efforts.  The center of our 7.5 mile-radius count-circle is the state line on
the road at Carver's Gap.  Anyone interested in counting butterflies in their
garden (within the count circle) should contact me also, as special
instructions are necessary.
      This event is sponsored by the North American Butterfly Association,
which is involved in many worthwhile conservation and education efforts.
They request a small ($3) donation from each adult participant to cover
administrative costs, and produce useful and interesting statistics from all
the counts across the continent.  Articles highlighting some interesting
results from these statistical analyses are a regular feature of NABA's
magazine, American Butterflies.  I will bring some back issues for your
perusal, as well as the published compilations of previous NABA Butterfly
Counts.
     If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Don Holt
910 Smalling Rd.
Johnson City, TN 37601
Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
(423) 926-0865
Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Greeneville TOS
Chapter, Blue Ridge Birders Club, Butternut Nature
Club, Buchanan County Bird Club, Bristol Bird Club,
Clinch Valley Bird Club and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958