[Bristol-Birds] Results of Whitetop Field Trip

  • From: JPMOYLE18@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 14:28:58 EDT

Six participants enjoyed a great day at Whitetop Mountain and Grayson
Highlands, Virginia.  The participants were Rob Biller, John Hay (co-leader),
Anita Huffman, David LaPorte, John Moyle (co-leader) and Nora Schubert.  After
meeting in Damascus, we traveled along US 58 and stopped at two pulloffs
near the river for some birding.  At Whitetop Anita joined us and we drove to
the top.  About 2/3s of the way up the mountain, we entered clouds engulfing
the crest.  This did not prevent birding, however, as we had great, close
looks a some birds (Chestnut-sided Warbler and singing Vesper Sparrows for
example) and heard several others including Winter Wren.  We drove back down to
the parking lot at the Appalachian Trail, parked our cars (now below the
clouds) and headed down the  App. trail to Elk Garden.  Due to the mixed
expertise of the group, we spent our time not only looking at birds but also
fungus, lichens, mosses and ferns, flowering plants, insects, snails and
mammals.
  After returning to our cars and eating lunch, we headed to Grayson
Highlands for more of the same and great panoramic views.  It was a wonderful
day,
and everyone contributed!!!  The bird list for the day:  Great Blue Heron,
Turkey Vulture, Broad-winged Hawk, Red-tailed Hawk, Rock Pigeon, Mourning
Dove, Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Chimney Swift, Ruby-throated Hummingbird,
Red-bellied Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, Hairy Woodpecker, Northern Flicker,
Acadian Flycatcher, Least Flycatcher, Eastern Phoebe, Blue-headed Vireo,
Red-eyed
Vireo, Blue Jay, American Crow, Common Raven, Tree Swallow, Barn Swallow,
Carolina Chickadee, Black-capped Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, Red-breasted
Nuthatch, White-breasted Nuthatch, Carolina Wren, House Wren, Winter Wren,
Golden-crowned Kinglet, Eastern Bluebird, Veery, Hermit Thrush, Wood Thrush,
American Robin, Gray Catbird, Northern Mockingbird, Brown Thrasher, Europian
Starling, Cedar Waxwing, Northern Parula, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Magnolia
Warbler, Black-throated Blue Warbler, Black-throated Green Warbler,
Yellow-throated Warbler, Black-and-white Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, Canada
Warbler,
Eastern Towhee, Chipping Sparrow, Field Sparrow, Vesper Sparrow, Song
Sparrow, Dark-eyed Junco, Northern Cardinal, Indigo Bunting, Common Grackle,
Brown-headed Cowbird, American Goldfinch.  62 Species

Upcoming birding opportunities:  July 7 and July 11 Fun Fest Bird Walks at
Bays
       Mountain led by our members.  Also, on Saturday, July 18 we will
have a field
       trip to Clingman's Dome in the Great Smoky Mountains.

John Moyle        Glen Alpine Road           Kingsport/Sullivan County

An Excellent Credit Score is 750. See Yours in Just 2
Easy Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221323006x1201367222/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&
bcd=JuneExcfooterNO62)