[Bristol-Birds] Red-headed WP - New yard bird

  • From: "Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 21:13:54 -0500

Area Birders,
Yesterday and today (Thursday), a juvenile Red-headed Woodpecker has visited my
platform sunflower seed feeder. The bird has a brownish-gray head, streaked
breast and the large white wing patches on the secondaries. This youngster is
agressive and charges other birds that attempt to feed. This morning it chased
away a flock of 7 Mourning Doves, a couple of nuthatches and a Carolina
Chickadee.
This is the first time a Red-headed has ever come to a feeder in my yard. A
couple of adult birds were visiting a feeder at the home of Johnnie and Betty
Ratliff near Grundy a couple of weeks ago. That was the first record of this
species coming to a feeder here in Buchanan County. The number of Red-head
sightings in this area is definitely up this year.

Last week a flock of Rusty Blackbirds and a Red-breasted Nuthatch were seen in
the county. These species are also not commonly observed in this area.

Enjoy the birds,

Roger Mayhorn
Grundy, VA
Buchanan County