[Bristol-Birds] Red Crossbills on Iron Mountain (Johnson Co., TN)

  • From: Thomas McNeil <tsmcneil1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-Birds " <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 09:58:48 -0500 (EST)

Johnson Co., TN
Highway 421 (Iron Mountain)

While participating in the Shady Valley/Mountain City Christmas Count
yesterday, David Kirschke, Cathy Myers, and I had at least four Red Crossbills
on the Mountain City side of Iron Mountain. We were able to see four birds
together, but we heard crossbills at several points up the mountain (we just
couldn't establish if these were different birds or the same ones flying over a
large area).

In addition: On the way home, we had a raft of 400+ Ring-billed Gulls on
Watauga Lake (Roan Creek area).

--

Thomas S. McNeil
Elizabethton, TN