[Bristol-Birds] Raven nest no obvious at BMS. Have they nested there for years ?

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 13:17:49 -0500

In off list discussions about the raven's nest at Bristol Motor Speedway,
Michele Sparks and Rick Phillips have provided interesting information which
could be quite revealing about the nesting of ravens in the area and at the
massive BMS stadium.

Michele points out that her recent visit to see the raven's nest was not simple
and quick.
I (Wallace) had the same experience but I never found the nest.  I haven't seen
it yet.  It helps to see the ravens carry nesting material to the nest or come
and go from the nest.  I was unable to see a raven near the speedway.  I looked
for about 15 minutes and was at the stadium may 25 minutes.

If I know the nest is there and about where it is and can't observe it, what
are the chances
speedway employees have never noticed the nest ?  If they see a bird is nesting
they might pass it off as a crow.  Workers are busy trying to get everything
ready for the race in about a month.  I can't see them going to the trouble to
get up into the outer structure of the stadium, six or eight floors above the
ground, to tear the nest down.  But stranger things have happened.  Who knows?

What prompted Michele to comment to me was that she had seen a raven perch on a
utility
pole not far from the nest just as I did in the photograph I posted yesterday.
My photo was taken four years ago.  Does that suggesting the raven was
resorting to sitting on a utility pole because there are no trees close to the
stadium ?  So, if a raven was perched on a utility pole there four years ago,
it may have been because it was perching close to a chosen nest site.

Michel wrote: "the Raven's nest within the BMS structure that Tom McNeil had
first mentioned in his party last Sunday, I waited over 40 minutes for some
sign of a raven because I couldn't locate a nest after much scanning with the
binocs. After one flew in and vocalized, I zeroed in on the area where it
entered. Only then was I able to locate the nest. After a five minute wait, the
same raven flew out and landed on a utility pole behind the office of the BMS
ticket office on the side where you and I had once parked to check the area for
Peregrine Falcons. The raven stayed atop that pole for 20 minutes. Finally it
flew down beyond the view from my position. The area I speak of has a gate
across it now upon entry, so I was unable to enter it on that day. The raven
finally returned to the nest with nesting material."

Rick wrote: "I have seen ravens very near to where Tom McNeil found this nest
for a long time. Just because this is the first nest found there doesn't
necessarily mean it's the first time they've nested there. Just pondering that
a nesting might have occurred previously, but gone unreported. Just last week I
saw a raven flying into the Tennessee Eastman Industrial Complex, and have seen
them in that area on and off for a long time. Also had them on and off near the
Domtar Plant (formerly Mead Paper) on Ravine St. in Kingsport for close to 10
years. Also a pair that frequents the area around Vulcan Materials up above
Walmart on W. Stone Drive in Kingsport."

After thinking about their observations, we certainly may have had ravens
nesting at BMS for several years and with success.  If they did not have
success, then why return each year and nest (if that is what has taken place) ?
 At first I thought maybe the fact Michele saw a bird perched on a utility pole
and I did also (four years ago) was because it is the same bird with the same
habit.  But just as feasible is the explanation that the utility pole is the
only place near some of these structures (stadium and Raceway Condos across the
street) where the bird can perch and be close to a nest, due to the lack of
trees.

Finally, as I drove around the facility to gather thoughts about all
possibilities that might come to mind, it seemed obvious:

    1.  None of us really bird on the speedway property even through it is open
to the public nearly year around.  So if a raven nested anywhere else on the
stadium or nearby structures away from the road, we might not discover it.  Tom
McNeil found them nest building at the side nearest Volunteer Parkway (US 11E).
 Much more convenient for discovery than driving around the interior parking
lots.

   2.  If a pair of ravens were nesting on the opposite side of the stadium,
they may not be aware or concerned that ravens nest on the front side.  Might
not relate to the fact it is using the same structure because it is so mammoth
and the nest would be 500 yards or more than a quarter of a mile (1,500 feet)
apart and out of sight.  At such a distance around an oblong facility, it might
be harder to relate to the fact both are using the same site.

  3.  In the wild, it would not seem out of the question to think, that in a
large set of extensive cliffs, a pair of ravens  might nest within such
proximity.  Do crows nest within a quarter mile of one another ?