[Bristol-Birds] Rankin 9.1.11 People Etc

  • From: mac942tbr@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 22:25:08 -0400

Rankin Bottoms, Thurs Sept 1, 2011
Drove from Greeneville, TN in from I-81 side vs 321 to Newport arriving before
6pm.
Upon passing over the bridge, no siting in the "Nest" however several blue
herons
and one black-crowned night heron.

Nice to see some pros with scopes who shared their close-ups.  Two men from
Henderson, NC and two men from Knoxville, TN, then another lady from Knoxville
arrived.
Cocke County after dusk best to stay in groups.

There were two folkes in a canoe and heard they had spotted the Ruffs, but we
didn't see
any from our shore view, which was really my desire.  A speedboat, couple in a
balloon ride
and a boy toting a gun?? got our attention in between sitings previously
posted.

4 Green Heron together were a nice site, as was the 50 or so Gulls (black
wing-tips) as they
flew past.  A perch and a 4-fly-by of Cormorants and several wild turkeys.  In
addition, one
Belted Kingfisher getting his dinner.

Butterflies diminishing, but did see a nice large yellow swallowtail, monarch,
orange sulfur.
This photo had a couple orange/white crawlers and those plant buds were pretty
in the
sunlight, but made it hard to focus on the swallowtail.  In fact, the overall
glare of the sun
made it photo tough.

Left before 8pm, but the others who had been there two hours before my arrival
were staying.

Nata Jackson
Greene County