[Bristol-Birds] Purple Finch- Elizabethton CBC

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 00:06:45 -0500

Elizabethton CBC
Carter Co.

Surprised with the low numbers of some species in my area (airport, etc. =
Area 5):  Downy Woodpecker 1, Mourning Dove 2, Dark-eyed Junco 6, Eastern
Towhee 1.  No American Robins.  Best bird was a PURPLE FINCH feeding on grit
in roadway not far from airport.  Other pleasing birds:  Gadwall 2, American
Wigeon 1, Bufflehead 2 on river (but no surprise), Pied-billed Grebe 2,
Wilson's Snipe 1, Ruby-crowned Kinglet (1- usually difficult for me on this
count), Eastern Screech-Owl 1.  Nice flow of Yellow-rumped Warblers (44) all
day.  Glad to get Cedar Waxwing and single flock of Eastern Meadowlarks
(16).  Even thankful for small flock of House Sparrows (6).  Seemed like
bird movement slow.  Few waterfowl on wing.  Decent species tally (46),
considering conditions.

Let's go to Glade Spring.....