[Bristol-Birds] Preliminary Report of Glade Spring CBC 2009

  • From: "Harrington, R" <roneharrin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Bird Network" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 13:21:09 -0500

Attached is a preliminary report of the 2009 Glade Spring CBC which was held on
Saturday, January 3, 2009. I do not have all the details so I can not list all
the participants at this point. Suffice to say that I appreciate all who braved
the fog and damp conditions to participate.

In summary, 20 participants counted 74 species (2 cw) and 6,916 individual
birds. Species seen this year but not last include Snow Goose, Wood Duck,
Gadwall, Am. Widgeon, N. Pintail, Green-winged Teal, Red-headed WP, Bufflehead,
Black-crowned Night Heron (Only second time ever on this count. Three adults
and one immature were seen on the Middle Fork, Holston River, just above the
Chilhowie Elementary school); Brown Creeper, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Savannah
Sparrow and Pine Siskin.
Species seen last year but this time included Swamp Sparrow, Common Grackle,
Barn Owl, Barred Owl, Wild Turkey, and Blue-winged Teal.

Ron Harrington
Compiler