[Bristol-Birds] Pine Siskin nest Documented on Roan Mountain

  • From: <merlin42@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 0:14:13 -0400

On Saturday, May 19, Rob Biller and Nora  Schubert did documentation work on
the Pine  Siskin nest that Allan Trently found on May 5, 2007.  The TOS field
trip to Roan Mountain during the Spring Meeting Weekend also viewed this nest
on May 6.

After locating the nest in the spruce tree at 102 Rustic Cabin Rd (Jones
residence), we positioned a mirror that was attached to a pole behind the nest
and took some photographs.  Ron Carrico provided the segemented pole and
attached a mirror.

These photographs can be found at the following location:

http://www.technobohemia.net/?q=gallery&g2_itemId=4819

The GPS data is N 36-07.625 and W 82.04.918. at an appoximate elevation of 4482
feet.  The GPS latitude and longitude is degrees and decimal minutes.

We documented this nest on May 29, 2007 from 8am to 10:30am.  The nest can be
found near Mile Marker 3 (3 miles in Tennessee) on HWY 143 on Rustic Cabin
Private Road.  A lot of the community there (called Hummingbird Hill) came out
to inquire as to what we were doing and many helped supply us some equipment
(ladder, extra rake).  If they hadn't been so supportive of our task, we would
not have been able to be so successful.

Rob Biller
Elilzabethton, TN