[Bristol-Birds] Paddle Creek Pond approaching threshold of good fall migration

  • From: "BBC Net" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Bristol Birds'" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 16:50:08 -0400

Those of you who are beginning to go afield, and sometimes checking out the
shorebird, are approaching the threshold of good fall migrant arrivals in
August.

At the end of May 2015, we had almost hit the bottom of mudflat habitat at
Paddle Creek Pond in eastern Sullivan County, TN not far from the South Fork
Holston River.

Late Monday, the water level in the pond had been pulled down about two feet
during July and extensive mudflats and migrant feeding habitat is wet and
well exposed. This is about where we were in May.

The water removed from Paddle Creek Pond has been pumped up to the Chad
Baker ponds in the far back of the complex (ponds up there not open to
birders). He still needs more water for his ponds so the pump system is
running around the clock and has been for more than a month.

It may seem strange to casual birders why the exposed inflow pipe in the
lower corner of the pond near the Bristol Bird Club signage and the sawmill
is running so much water into the pond and the pump is working to pump it
back out.

We are at our most desired water level and habitat at this date. In order
to stay in this mode and continue to maintain good habitat, we must inflow
from Paddle Creek to the pond and then pass the water thru the pond to the
pump and relay it up to Baker's ponds. This is to accommodate Baker's needs
and attempt to hold our habitat at the desired level. We can probably
sustain good habitat this fall.

The Spotted Sandpipers have been regular throughout July (up to 4 and 5 seen
some days) and the Solitary Sandpiper has also, despite its arrival a week
later and in the usual small numbers. The first Lesser Yellowlegs of the
season has shown up and a single Least Sandpiper was seen-they will soon be
the most frequent and abundant of the shorebirds. Greater Yellowlegs are
expected in a few weeks but could be earlier.

It should be about two weeks until we see the species diversity we have come
to enjoy.

The last week of August will probably bring large flocks of Blue-winged
Teal.

September and October should be good shorebirding months until waterfowl
arrives in November.

It can be logically argued that the above outlook does not more exactly
follow what might be expected from a historic regional record. For our
purposes, the outlook is tracking the historical record for arrivals at
Paddle Creek Pond for the past six to seven years. Why should Paddle Creek
be any different ? We think the food mass may have a slightly different
hatch or production schedule. That could be caused by our artificial pond
level management approach. We think that is more exactly the case with
shoreline water plants which may provide hiding and feeding areas for some
of the food mass.

Semipalmated Plover may show up anytime but more likely in the early weeks
of Sept.

Spotted Sandpiper was first to arrive this fall and has been here for a
month.

Greater Yellowlegs probably not until late Sept to early Oct.

Lesser Yellowlegs a bird or two came after the middle of July and will
increase to Sept.

Stilt Sandpiper much more rare but might be here in mid to late Sept.

Least Sandpiper already in on schedule and will increase and may stay until
Oct.

White-rumped Sandpiper rare in fall but has been found after middle of Aug.

Buff-breasted Sandpiper seldom seen but has appeared in late Aug.

Pectoral Sandpiper expected by the last week of Aug and may stay thru most
of Oct.

Semipalmated Sandpiper may arrive any day and might stay into first week of
Oct.

Western Sandpiper expected the last week of Aug. and first week of Sept.

Red-necked Phalarope appeared with a single bird last year in late Sept.

White Ibis was at the pond in Aug 2009 so keep your eyes open - already one
this fall.

Glossy Ibis mid-Sept 2009 record-more rare (only one record).

Enjoy the shorebirds...