[Bristol-Birds] Olivaceous Purple Finch - Claytor Lake

  • From: Herdfanmark@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bcbirdclub-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, NRVBirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, blueridgebirders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 18:25:42 EST

Greetings,
                Today @ 3:00 I watched a "company" of 11 Purple Finches
descend  on my Sunflower feeders. I was looking through & counting  them, saw 4
raspberry colored ones and this one that stuck out from  the others in a
different way. This rump coloration may not be that  unusual, yet I have never
seen it before.
None of the field guides show or comment on it. I have seen yellow variant
House Finches here before, but I haven't seen this color on a  Purple
Finch.  Have any of you ever noticed this on Purple Finches before  ?

The lighting was poor today & the yellow-olive colored area appeared
brighter to my eye than it does in the photo.
I did an online search, but not find much about this on Purple  Fiches,
except for this 1927 Mass. banding report:
_http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/JFO/b003n03/p0062-p0068.pdf_
(http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/JFO/b003n03/p0062-p0068.pdf)

Good Birding
Mark Mullins