[Bristol-Birds] Off topic: NC pelagics

  • From: david kirschke <dkirschke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 12:46:09 -0700 (PDT)

I spent last weekend in Hatteras, NC and went out on 3 pelagic trips.  Seas
were a bit rough from the tropical storm off the coast (the Saturday trip was
canceled), but we had good birding Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday.  I managed not
to get sea sick, which was a highlight for me, although I felt a little green
on one of the trips out.  Chris Sloan, a birder from Nashville, is one of the
guides, but he was not out there last weekend.  I have posted a few photos on
flickr.  I would say most of my photos were either blurry or of empty ocean (no
bird in the frame) because the boat was rocking so much.  Also, some of the
birds, petrels primarily, come screaming past the boat very quickly.  Gives me
a new level of appreciation for the photos that Chris and others manage to
take.  You might be able to tell from the photos that Pomarine Jaegars were
encountered relatively frequently and were fairly cooperative.  Regretably, I
had my camera stowed for 2
 of the best birds of the trips - Red-billed Tropicbird and South Polar Skua.
I did not have it stowed for Leach's Storm-Petrel - I just could not get a
photo off before it moved on.  Probably it was hiding behind a wave in one of
my many photos of empty ocean...

http://www.flickr.com/people/dkirschke/

David Kirschke
Johnson City, TN

For those interested, the trips are run by Brian Patteson and his website is
at:
http://www.patteson.com/