[Bristol-Birds] Northern Waterthrush, Hampton, TN

  • From: ahoodedwarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:57:10 -0400

For the past two mornings (April 24 and 25) I have spotted a Northern
Waterthrush in the spring seep next to my home in Hampton, TN.

There's an old springhouse made of river rock on the property, and the old
spring still seeps up through the ground and makes an area I just call "the
swamp."

One surprise on Thursday morning was that the Northern Waterthrush hopped onto
the old window ledge in the spring house (it's just the open window space now
with no glass panes) and then flew into the old building.

There's also a huge Norway Spruce towering over everything, and by late summer,
"the swamp" is choked with vegetation. It's always been a good place to find
warblers during the spring and fall migration and even the summer nesting
season.

The tendency has been that I see more Northern Waterthrushes in fall than
spring, but I will take them whenever I can get them.

I have a question, too, if anyone can shed some light.

Obviously, the Northern Waterthrush does not nest in the region, so when we do
see them, they are migrating through.

The Louisiana Waterthrush does nest here, but I never see them until they are
already on the nesting site. Why don't I see Louisiana Waterthrushes at home or
in the field as they migrate but have not yet arrived at their nesting sites?
Of course, the answer could simply be that I have not been lucky enough to see
one under those circumstances, but I wondered if there is something about their
migration pattern that might also explain it.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN