[Bristol-Birds] Northeast Wash. Co. shorebirds

  • From: "Thomas McNeil" <tsmcneil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 23:8:6 -0400

Washington County, TN (and Sullivan Co., TN)

This is definitely the time of year to get excited about MUD!  And mud is
now becoming visible around Boone Lake.  I stopped by the marshy area along
Herb Hodge Road (just across the lake from Austin Springs) and it looks
great!  Lots of exposed mudflat now.  Anyone birding in the Austin Springs
area should keep an eye on this spot also.

This evening at the Herb Hodge Road marshy area:

Wood Duck (2)
Great Egret (1)
Killdeer (22)
Pectoral Sandpiper (1)
Least Sandpiper (2)
Western Sandpiper (1)

Rack Cross and I met at Musick's Campground and said goodnight to the Sooty
Tern.  It was really putting on a show this evening.  The Sandering was
still present, but no other shorebirds were around.

Thomas S. McNeil
Elizabethton, TN
tsmcneil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
tsmcneil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx