[Bristol-Birds] Re: New Species for Buchanan County

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 23:16:48 -0500

Roger Mayhorn and Area Birders:

The excellent discovery of a Bufflehead in Buchanan County, VA is a great
new species for the county.  It is likely an early-spring date for the
species in the coalfield counties west of the Clinch Mountains in Southwest
Virginia.  They probably don't winter in that region but are spring and fall
transients.

I got a chuckle at your comments about how strange your report may seem to
those who bird at South Holston and the weir dam.   Actually, most of us
take a lot for granted when we see the large Bufflehead populations there
and at Wilbur Lake in neighboring Carter County.  This is the largest
wintering population of the species in Tennessee, if not in the Southern
Appalachians.  We had 299 at the weir in Dec. 1998 and Tom McNeil had 345 at
Wilbur in Nov. 1991.

Bufflehead winter in slow moving to standing, shallow, freshwater in
woodland areas.  No surprise for a duck that nests in old Northern Flicker
holes and other tree cavities !

Congratulations!

Let's go birding....

Wallace Coffey