[Bristol-Birds] Nesting GBHE

  • From: "Todd and Lynn Eastin" <eastin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 13:31:51 -0400

Spotted a Great Blue Heron nest just this morning high in a tree across Denton
Valley Road (Sullivan Co., Cherokee NF) from the entrance to the Jacobs Creek
Job Corps.  There is a pair, possibly one already on eggs or in process of
laying.  I had first seen an individual with nest material heading in a
direction away from where I eventually saw the nest.  Then I saw the nest
before seeing a heron on or near it.  Moments later an individual with nest
material flew in and then the other stood up in the nest.
I have suspected nesting herons in this area for several years because of
sighting them regularly.  But this is the first nest actually discovered.

Todd Eastin