[Bristol-Birds] Mystery sound from Winged Deer trip identified

  • From: Heather Jones <hrupejones@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 13:11:30 -0400

Hello,

At the Winged Deer trip I ended up in a smaller group away from the others,
we were trying to see an ovenbird.  I am ashamed to say I don't really know
many names yet.  But around that area, there was a mysterious sound that
made one fellow who knows his bird sounds say, "What was that?" They
thought possibly it was the Broad-winged Hawk that had flown over.  It was
a single loud chirp that repeated a few times.

Today I was back at Winged Deer near the Cooper's Hawk nest (around noon),
and I saw the female Cooper's Hawk land in a tree.  I saw her making that
sound!  She had a kill in her talons.  I tried to get some photos, they
aren't great but you can make her out.  As I was leaving, what looked like
a first-year male Cooper's Hawk swooped in, and either mated with her or
stole her lunch.  I couldn't tell what was going on, there was so much
flapping.

Heather Jones
Piney Flats, TN