[bristol-birds] Mourning Warbler, New Yard Bird

  • From: "Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 12:41:06 -0400

Area Birders,
Yesterday was a slow day here on the mountain with only 32 species logged
around the yard. The highlights were, 1 Am. male Redstart, 1
Black-and-white, 3 Cape Mays, 2 Magnolias, 18 Tennessees, 1 Yellow-throated
Warbler, 3 Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, 2 Red-eyed Vireos, 2 White-eyed Vireos,
7 Scarlet Tanagers and 3 Swainson's Thrushes.

This morning made up for it with 45 species, only 2 away from my record 47.
Without a doubt the highlight of the morning was when a Mourning Warbler
landed in a shrub about 4 feet from me at eye level. It was so close I
couldn't raise my binos for fear of scaring it, but hey, who needed them. I
had no trouble seeing the dark, brownish green back, the gray hooded head
with no eye ring and the yellow underbody. Since this was a lifebird for me
I was all eyes. The bird hopped around for a bit while I stood transfixed,
then flew on across the yard still on its southern heading. You can't get
much luckier than that. After checking with Sibley's I decided it was an
adult female.

The second most unusual bird of the morning was a Belted Kingfisher. I heard
its machine gun like call before I saw it. It flew to an electrical wire
over the neighbor's pasture and perched. I was surprised since water is
rather scarce here on the mountain. This is only the second time I have ever
seen one up here. The other notable birds of the morning were 3 American
Redstarts ( 2 handsome adult males), 2 Blackburnian Warblers (sorry Glen
Eller that they didn't show up for you at the Warbler Watch on Saturday), 1
adult female Black-throated Green, 3 Cape Mays, 1 Common Yellowthroat, 3
Magnolias, 8 Tennessees, 2 Yellow-throated Warblers, 3 Red-eyed Vireos, 2
White-eyed Vireos, 2 Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, 3 Wood Thrushes, 4
Swainson's Thrushes, 10 Scarlet Tanagers,10 Cedar Waxwings, 3 Eastern
Bluebirds, 2 Eastern Wood Pewees, 2 Eastern Phoebes, 5 Gray Catbirds, 1
Great Crested Flycatcher, 1 Pileated Woodpecker, 2 Northern Flickers, 4
Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, and 1 Red-shouldered Hawk.

To top off the bright autumn morning I had 1 Eastern Gray Squirrel, 2
Chipmunks, 1 Eastern Box Turtle, 2 Monarch Butterflies, and 2 Red-spotted
Purple Butterflies.
Following is the complete list.

May all your mornings be a good as mine,
Roger Mayhorn
Grundy VA

American Crow 2
American Goldfinch 10
American Redstart 3 (2 adult males, 1 female)
American Robin 2
Belted Kingfisher 1
Blackburnian Warbler 2
Black-throated Green Warbler 1 ( adult female)
Blue Jay 1
Cape May Warbler 3
Carolina Chickadee 1
Carolina Wren 4
Cedar Waxwing 10
Chimney Swift 2
Chipping Sparrow 3
Common Yellowthroat 1 (first year male)
Downy Woodpecker 1 (male)
Eastern Bluebird 3 (2 males, 1 female)
Eastern Phoebe 2
Eastern Towhee 4(1 juvenile)
Eastern Wood Pewee 2
Empidonax 1 sp
European Starling 5
Gray Catbird 5
Great-crested Flycatcher 1
House Finch 2
House Sparrow 1 (immature male)
Magnolia Warbler 3
Mourning Dove 8
Mourning Warbler 1 (life bird)
Northern Cardinal 4 (1 female)
Northern Flicker 2
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 4 (2 adult males, 1 immature male)
Red-eyed Vireo 3
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 2
Scarlet Tanager 10 (one singing faintly) ( 3 females)
Song Sparrow 2
Swainson?s Thrush 4
Tennessee Warbler 8
Tufted Titmouse 3
Yellow-throated Warbler 2
White-eyed Vireo 2
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
Wood Thrush 3

Eastern Gray Squirrel 1
Monarch Butterfly 2
Red-spotted Purple Butterfly 1
Eastern Box Turtle 1
Eastern Chipmunk 2

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Greeneville TOS
Chapter, Blue Ridge Birders Club, Butternut Nature
Club, Buchanan County Bird Club, Bristol Bird Club,
Clinch Valley Bird Club and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958