[Bristol-Birds] More Regional birding day info from organizers

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 01:50:50 -0400

Saturday, May 11, 2013 - Bird Count

Upper East Tennessee - Southwest Virginia

Please join our informal birding day by reporting your bird counts to

vatenbirdcount@xxxxxxxxx.

Go birding anywhere in our region* Saturday with anyone you wish - just report
your results (who, what, when and where) to the above email account.  Or call
276/451-0439 during the day to report sightings.

We will try and keep everyone posted throughout the day of any special
sightings or unusual events.

We will compile and post totals to the Bristol Birds list server

 for all to see.  Honors and kudos will go to those with the highest total and
the best bird/s.

Everyone is welcome to join us a Zazzy'Z Coffeehouse, 380 E. Main Street,
Abingdon, VA at 7pm for refreshments and bird talk.

We are investigating the possibility of developing a big birding event

 in the spring of 2014 in collaboration with

Heartwood (www.heartwoodvirginia.org)

to showcase our region's avifauna and natural resources.

We would appreciate any and all input.  If you can not join us at Zazzy'Z
Saturday night, please email us and let us know what you think about an
expanded birding event in our area in 2014, and what you like to see offered at
such an event.

Field checklists lists can be found at www.virginiabirds.net and
www.tnbirds.org .

Thanks and happy birding,

Ed Morgan, Mayor of Abingdon, VA.

Ramsey White, Abingdon, VA.

P.S.  Our team (the Railing Virginians) is going for a 100 species count.  We
will start at South Holston Lake; drive to White Top Mountain, then to
Saltville, and then to Burkes Garden - with various stops in-between.

*Eight counties of East Tennessee and the sixteen counties of Southwest Virginia