[Bristol-Birds] Michael Sledjeski and Leslie Gibbens present BBC June meeting Tuesday (June 19th)

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 23:29:11 -0400

Sledjeski and Gibbens featured BBC program for June

Come out and enjoy the June meeting of the Bristol Bird Club Tuesday, June
19th, when we have  Michael Sledjeski and Leslie Gibbens from the famous Rankin
Bottoms Project and their great photos. They will talk about their efforts to
preserve and maintain wildlife habitat at Rankin Bottom and the Upper Douglas
Lake area.  Their program will bring to life some of their most exciting water
birds and waders from hundreds of trips to the famous shorebird area of East
Tennessee.

The BBC will meet at the conference room of the main lodge at Steele Creek Park
(just across the parking lot from the Nature Center) starting at 7:30 p.m.  We
are looking for a great turnout.

They will travel about 170 miles to present their program for us.

Michael and Leslie will also be our guest for dinner starting at 6 p.m. at the
Mad Greek Restaurant a couple of miles north of Bristol Motor Speedway on US
11E (Volunteer Parkway).  This is a come as you are Dutch dinner where everyone
begins to arrive just after 5:45 p.m. and we'll be there until about 7 p.m.  If
you come out for dinner you can visit with friends, meet Michael and Leslie and
better get to know them.

Rankin Bottoms is the premier site in East Tennessee for warm season waterbirds
including Wood Duck, Double-crested Cormorant, Great Egret, Osprey, shorebirds,
Cliff Swallow, and Prothonotary Warbler.  In winter, permanent water features
provide waterfowl habitat. In all, there have been a total of 89 waterbird
species documented.  Thirty-four species of shorebirds have been observed.
Rankin typically has the highest number and variety of migratory shorebirds in
the eastern half of Tennessee.

Michael and Leslie live at Del Rio and make 25-50 trips per year to Rankin
and/or Upper Douglas Lake.

This is going to be one of the Bristol Bird Club's best programs in a long time
so get there early for the best seats and don't miss it for anything.