[Bristol-Birds] Merlins, Blue Grosbeaks, Dickcissels

  • From: AHoodedWarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 23:26:51 EDT

On Tuesday, May 13, Reece Jamerson, Howard Langride and Bryan Stevens birded
in Washington County from 4:30-8 p.m.

Near the junctions of Old State Route 34 and Taylor Mill Road, we had a
male/female pair of Blue Grosbeaks and at least 2 Dickcissels.

Next, on Corby Bridge Road in fields near an old shop building we had another
male/female pair of Blue Grosbeaks and a male Orchard Oriole in the same
stand of tall weeds. But that was only the beginning. While looking in a
field where we found Bobolinks last year, we saw two small perched raptors.
They turned out to be Merlins perched in a large pile of downed trees and
other brush in the center of the field. In this same field we had Indigo
Buntings and Song Sparrows. No Bobolinks, however.

The Merlins put on quite a show and provided us with excellent looks. We saw
them both perched and in flight. And they can take off like a shot, even into
a stiff wind.

Later, along Highway 107, we had an American Kestrel being harrassed by an
Eastern Kingbird.

At Jackson Bridge Road, we enjoyed watching all the nesting Cliff Swallows.

At the pond near the Dunbar Pepper Factory in the South Central community, we
observed two Spotted Sandpipers.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Chapter, Blue Ridge
and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958