[Bristol-Birds] Mendota Firetower

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, valeps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 13:25:11 EDT

Hey folks,
     Saturday afternoon, 20 AUG 2005, Dianne Draper and I went to Mendota, VA
(after a quick stop at Musick's Campground on S. Holston Lake in Sullivan
Co., TN where we saw a very friendly Semipalmated Plover that I believe
chummer,
I mean zenbirder Wallace Coffey had already tamed that morning :-)
     On the road near Mendota Firetower we were delighted with the abundance
of wildflowers in bloom, including lots of Liatris aspera, Rough Blazing Star.
 (Does anyone know if that species has always been there, or did it get
planted there along with the abundant Big Bluestem along the road.  Is that
National Forest there?)  There was a lot of butterfly activity on the Liatris,
and
even more activity by hilltopping butterflies at the firetower.  We ended up
observing 27 species of butterflies there.  (list at end)
     Other interesting critters included at least one, maybe two Bank
Swallows, a Barn Swallow, several Chimney Swifts, and a flock of Turkey
Vultures that
had been resting on the tower and leaving lots of "butterfly bait" on the
ground beneath it.  A large Emerald dragonfly species foraged low over the
trail
near the tower awhile, and the rocks were full of young Eastern Fence Lizards.

Butterfly species:

Pipevine Swallowtail
Zebra Swallowtail
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail