[Bristol-Birds] Maggie Dunson and Bill Dunson 1,400 nighthawks near Galax, VA

  • From: "BBC Net" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Bristol Bird Club'" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 00:49:42 -0400

August 31, 2014 by Maggie Dunson

About 3 miles SW of Galax towards Independence

On US 58 in Grayson Co., VA

Common Nighthawk 1400

"Seen moving south S/W from 6:35 to 7:25 pm  Some very close; others barely
visible  We've had large numbers of these migrating nighthawks in previous
years.  They apparently move down a valley seen from our property, but some
groups fly close over our home.  There were likely many more than the 1400;
rough counts during the 50 min. watch totaled 1800."