[Bristol-Birds] Lower French Broad River and Upper Douglas Lake (Cocke Co., TN)

  • From: Don Miller <raincrow@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol-Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Butternuts <butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:57:19 -0400

August 22, 2004
Cocke County (Rankin Wildlife Management Area and immediate vicinity)

Don Holt, Jim Holt, and I joined Leslie Gibbens and Michael Sledjeski on
Sunday afternoon for a splendid canoe tour from the French Broad River
boat launch at Rankin Bridge downstream to the coal tipple at Rankin
Wildlife Management Area.  The trip included both RWMA and nearby
areas.  Quite a bit of shorebird habitat was visible, as well as
abundant willow-sycamore bottomland woods still mostly underwater.  We
began at about 4:45 p.m. and ended as darkness was falling.

Highlights of the trip included the following (undercounted, I'm sure):

Pied-billed Grebe (2);
Double-crested Cormorant (105);
Great Blue Heron (14);
Great Egret (76);
Little Blue Heron (immature);
Cattle Egret (17);
Green Heron (9);
Black-crowned Night-Heron (9);
Canada Goose (61);
Wood Duck (20);
Blue-winged Teal (6);
Osprey (4);
Killdeer (15);
Semipalmated Plover;
Lesser Yellowlegs (12);
Solitary Sandpiper (5);
Spotted Sandpiper (9);
Least Sandpiper (48);
Common Nighthawk;
Chimney Swift;
Red-headed Woodpecker;
Great Crested Flycatcher;
Eastern Kingbird (4);
Northern Rough-winged Swallow (30);
Barn Swallow (2);
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (4);
Prothonotary Warbler (4);
Common Yellowthroat;
Summer Tanager.

Thanks, Leslie and Michael, for a great outing.

Don Miller
Greeneville, TN