[Bristol-Birds] Lesser Yellowlegs (Carter County)

  • From: "Thomas McNeil" <tsmcneil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 20:1:7 -0400

Late this afternoon, I made my usual rounds in Lynn Valley and up around
Wilbur and Watauga Lakes.  There was not a single bird on Watauga (at the
dam) and only a few (18) Buffleheads on Wilbur.

At the "Iron Bridge pond" (just past the Iron Bridge along C. Grindstaff
Road), I had two Lesser Yellowlegs.  Just beyond the pond, along the same
road, I had a Northern Harrier.

While I was checking the Elizabethton Municipal Airport (no Sora), Bryan
Stevens and David Thometz happened by.  I told them about the yellowlegs
and they decided to drive up and have a look.  I also decided to drive back
up and caught up with them.  The yellowlegs were still there, but joining
them this time were five Solitary Sandpipers.  David inquired, "Are they
still Solitary Sandpipers if there are five of them?"  :-)

Thomas McNeil
Elizabethton, TN
tsmcneil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx