[Bristol-Birds] LeConte's Sparrow, Elizabethton CBC

  • From: ahoodedwarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: HerndonBirdClub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 18:13:14 -0500

I am reporting this ahead of compilation Thursday in case anybody wants to try
their luck at re-locating this bird.

During Sunday's Elizabethton Christmas Bird Count, a LeConte's Sparrow was
found in a field on the left side of Airport Road behind the Elizabethton
Municipal Airport. The bird was spotted by Josh Ferry and also observed by Gary
Wallace, Bryan Stevens and Megan Elrod. The field is located at a part of the
road that curves after the straight-away behind the airport.

My memory is hazy, but I think a Herndon Chapter TOS field trip located a
LeConte's Sparrow in the field a few years back in late October. I am not sure
an ID was made on that bird, however. Best I can recall that instance was a
very fleeting glimpse.

The field is good for sparrows, and I have personally found Song Sparrows,
Swamp Sparrows, White-throated Sparrows, Eastern Towhees in various parts of
the field, which runs back to a steep slope. On Sunday, our group also found a
Fox Sparrow at this location, but at the back part of the field bordering some
woodlands. The woodlands, for local birders, are the same woodlot connected to
the property where the late H.P. Langridge lived.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN

?