[Bristol-Birds] Late Cape May, First Purple Finch, Sparrows, Hawks

  • From: "Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 00:26:30 -0400

Area Birders,
I had a pretty good day here on Compton Mt yesterday (10/27/05). I started out
with juvenile White-crowned Sparrows at the feeder and in the small pond
stream. I saw a flock of sparrows feeding in the field just beyond the apple
trees in the front yard, and after scanning bunches of Chipping Sparrows I
found a Lincoln's in the flock. I also had Song Sparrows, White-throated and
one Field Sparrow. Shortly after seeing the sparrows 3 Red-shouldered Hawks
rose up out of the valley. I was birding on my small trail and heard them
calling. I quickly got to a spot where I could see them, and they circled right
over me several times.They certainly stood out against the blue of the October
sky.

 A small bird flew into the white pine at the edge of the yard while I was
watching the hawks disappear. It turned out to be a late adult male Cape May.
According to Peterson's Guide to Warblers the main flock has moved through by
this time, but scattered sightings have been recorded all through the east up
into November. Our late date for the species here in Buchanan County before
yesterday was 10/12/2004, and that bird was also found here on the mountain.

I had one Raven yesterday and 3 the day before. I also had two male Red-winged
Blackbirds, the first one's I've seen here since spring. In addition I had a
female Junco. I was surprised to see that I had the first Purple Finch (female
or juv male) of the season yesterday, and a Ruby-crowned Kinglet. The early
date we have for Purple Finch during fall migration is 9/29/01 when we got two
at the Warbler Watch Day here at the house.

Enjoy the birds,

Roger Mayhorn
Compton Mt (near Grundy)
Buchanan County