[Bristol-Birds] Lark Sparrow, Cackling Goose, White-winged Scoter (NE-TN)

  • From: "Thomas McNeil" <tsmcneil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "TN-Bird Net" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:50:2 -0500

Carter, Sullivan, and Washington Counties, TN

J.T. McNeil and I had a wonderful day in the field.  We began at Watauga
Lake in Carter County where we observed around 350 Ring-billed Gulls (the
most that I have personally ever seen on Watauga Lake).

On Wilbur Lake (Carter County):
Greater Scaup (1)
Lesser Scaup (1)
Bufflehead (195)
Mallard (15)
Black Duck (1)

On the South Holston River-Weir Dam (Sullivan County):
WHITE-WINGED SCOTER (1)
Redhead (1)
Redhead/Ring-neck Hybrid (1)
Ring-necked Duck (3)
Greater Scaup (1)
Bufflehead
Mallard

At South Holston Dam (Sullivan County):
Red-breasted Merganser (2)

At Middlebrook Lake (Sullivan County):
Bufflehead
Mallard
Hooded Merganser (6)
Black Duck (3)
Black Duck/Mallard Hybrid (1)
Ring-billed Gull (250)
Herring Gull (3)

On Pickens Bridge Road at the intersection with Crouch Road (Washington
County):
In the cornfield:
CACKLING GOOSE (3)
Canada Goose (250)

At the Tri-Cities Airport area (Sullivan County):
On Hamilton Road, less than 0.5 miles past the intersection with Minga Road
(south end of runway);  Gravel pull-off on the right (above the runway);
Birds were in the field on the right (across the road from the airport
property).
LARK SPARROW (1)
Horned Lark (6)
Savannah Sparrow (several)

At the airport site (following a few calls) we were joined by Don Holt,
Diane Draper, Rick Knight, Dexter and Linda Newman, Mike Poe, Wallace and
Carolyn Coffey, and Larry McDaniel.  Everyone had great looks at the Lark
Sparrow.  Others may have come by later, but we had to depart (just about
frozen solid).  If so, sorry we missed you.

Thomas and J.T. McNeil
Elizabethton, TN
tsmcneil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
tsmcneil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx