[Bristol-Birds] Kingsport/Greenbelt Y-C N-Herons plus

  • From: wwg <wwg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Bird Lists <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 19:25:08 -0500

Went looking for the Yellow-Crowned Night-Herons that had previosly been
seen on the Greenbelt Park on Reedy Creek in Kingsport. I did not see
herons at the site near the hospital. I did see a large nest that was
across the creek from the parking area, but no birds. I am not sure if
this is the one that Marion Finucane and Dave Coffey watched previously.
I went to the area behind the Ramada Inn on American Way as described by
Rick Phillips. Saw three nests each with two Yellow-Crowned Night-Herons
and one that was perched on a branch away from the nests. I was joined
by Jerry Cunningham and saw Louisiana Waterthrush on a log on the creek
bank beneath one of the nests . Later Dennis Whittington came by to
check out the herons also. Other birds seen were Yellow-rumped Warbler,
White-breasted Nuthatch, Downey Woodpecker, Northern Cardinal, Northern
Mockingbird, House Sparrow, Carolina Chickadee. Heard a Pileated
Woodpecker. There was a nest above one of the heron nests that looked as
if it had a bird in it, but we could not see what it was. This was on
the creek opposite the first bench going west (right) from the gravel
path from American Way to the Greenbelt.

Yardbirds today included American Goldfinch, House Finch, Downy
Woodpecker, and 8 Cedar Waxwings.

Bill Grigsby
Kingsport, TN

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Chapter, Blue Ridge
and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958