[Bristol-Birds] Kingsport CBC (in part)

  • From: "Richard Knight" <rknight8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "tn-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 11:39:42 -0500

Boone Lake, Tri-cities Airport, & Gray
Washington / Sullivan Cos., TN
as part of the Kingsport CBC

a few noteworthy sightings:
Red-br. Merganser  - 3, on the lake
Red-tailed Hawk  - the albino on eastern Fordtown Rd.
Barred Owl  - 1, observed at ca. 2:00 pm on Wahoo Valley Rd.
Horned Lark - 1, in field adjacent to airport.

To the best of my recollection, this was the first Barred Owl that I have
EVER encountered  (heard or seen) in the Ridge & Valley portion of
Northeast Tenn  (aside from a road-kill at Phipps Bend).  They are
fairly common in the Mountain (i.e., Blue Ridge) region and, apparently,
wander some during winter.

Rick Knight
Johnson City, TN