[Bristol-Birds] Kinglets, Purple Finches

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:19:55 -0400

Area Birders,
On 9/29 I had a finch at my feeder that I thought was an unusually marked
HOUSE FINCH. Ed Talbott's opinion was that it was an immature PURPLE FINCH.
I have to agree with Ed. In the photo the beginnings of the light
supercillium stripe can be seen. On 10/13 another Purple Finch came to the
feeder. Here are photos of the two birds.
http://www.bcplnet.org/birdclub/gallery/PFinch4.htm

Shortly after the Purple Finch showed up a BLUE JAY flew in and scattered
the smaller birds at the feeder.
http://www.bcplnet.org/birdclub/gallery/BlueJay4.htm

Some other migrants started showing up around the yard. 2 PINE WARBLERS were
working some maple branches. A BLUE-HEADED VIREO was in the Cedar Tree. An
AMERICAN KESTREL flew over the yard. One INDIGO BUNTING was observed, as
well as 2 SWAINSON'S THRUSHES, a PILEATED WOODPECKER, 5 BLUE JAYS, 3 EASTERN
BLUEBIRDS,1 RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER and 15 YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS.

A GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET fed within 4 or 5 feet of me in the Cedar Tree in
the front yard, and a  RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET searched through the branches of
an apple tree. http://www.bcplnet.org/birdclub/gallery/Kinglets.htm

Some of the YELLOW-RUMPS were feeding on Poison Ivy berries. This one was
peering straight down at me as I got warbler neck while trying to get his
photo. http://www.bcplnet.org/birdclub/gallery/YRWarbler4.htm

Following is the list of 28 species.

Roger Mayhorn
Grundy, VA