[Bristol-Birds] Ivory-bill sound recordings!

  • From: "Shane" <tshane@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 17:17:11 -0400

Birders,

I just got this from the Cornell Lab the birders might be intersted on the
Ivory-Billed WoodPecker.

Shane Adams
East of Hamblen County
Morristown, TN.

Dear Lab members and friends:

For months, our Ivory-billed Woodpecker research team has been analyzing more
than 17,000 hours of sound recordings from the Big Woods. Now you can hear some
of the sounds that our researchers think are the most promising­double knocks
and calls that sound a lot like those of Ivory-billed Woodpeckers. You can hear
the sounds and see sonograms at our Ivory-billed Woodpecker web site.  Because
of the many visitors listening to the sounds, the web site may be a bit slow to
respond. If so, we apologize and hope you'll check in at a later time.

The recordings come from autonomous recording units (ARUs) that were deployed
in the Cache River and White River National Wildlife Refuges during the
2004-2005 field season. Yesterday, Russ Charif, a bioacoustics researcher at
the Lab, presented results of the analysis at the annual meeting of the
American Ornithologists' Union in Santa Barbara, California.

National Public Radio's Christopher Joyce visited the Lab last week to
interview our staff about the sounds­you can hear the story from Radio
Expeditions. The New York Times, Washington Post, ABC News, and others also
carried the story.

The search for the Ivory-billed Woodpecker resumes in earnest on November 1.
The weather will be cooler and enough leaves will have fallen to give searchers
a better chance of seeing the bird. As always, we'll keep you updated on the
latest findings.

Thank you again for all your enthusiasm and support!

Your friends at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology