[Bristol-Birds] Re: Its All In An Image

  • From: Allen Boynton <allenboynton@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 08:04:50 -0500

As a long-time birder that recently added digital SLR photography to my toolkit, I tend to agree with Alan Tilmouth's (on the blog) and Michael Sledjeski's (on Bristol Birds) comments.

I have found that I can often ID a distant bird with an image that I could not with my 10x binos. I now do not bother to get the scope out as often, but turn to the digital camera and quick zoom first. I have found that I learn details about a bird from my images that I would have missed in the 2 second observation window that was available.

I have also found that I end up with many digital images to view and organize. This has become an enjoyable part of birding to me, and I have made it a habit to make notes on each image that I choose to keep. This to me is a far more accessible set of notes than field notebooks, which I have kept in a somewhat desultory fashion in times past.

Allen Boynton
Troutdale, VA

MENDOTA HAWK MIGRATION DAILY AND SEASON TOTALS CAN
BE FOLLOWED DAILY ON THE HAWK MIGRATION ASSOC. SITE
http://hawkcount.org/month_summary.php?rsite=706&PHPSESSID=b2eb5deb1ae5a23e55dcf30171c5ba85

http://bristolbirdclub.org

Nature Calendar for NE TN / SW VA:
http://www.google.com:80/calendar/embed?src=eHlvbjQyQGdtYWlsLmNvbQ