[Bristol-Birds] Re: In Reference to Henslow's Sparrow

  • From: "Richard Knight" <rknight8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birdclub" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 21:26:42 -0400

When Mike first posted about the Henslow's Sparrow in Rock Creek Park
I was somewhat skeptical because I knew the site was in the middle of a
heavily forested area.  Not exactly Henslow's habitat.  Yet I often say that
in migration almost anything can turn up almost anywhere.  Case in point
here.  The patch of habitat where the sparrow was found was suitable, but
it was a tiny patch - - about the size of an average living room - -
surrounded
by tall, thick cove hardwoods.  How the bird found that spot is remarkable.
Nice find by Mike & good call on the ID.

Rick Knight
Johnson City, TN

I posted the pics in a hurry, I had to rush out and start mowing before it
got dark. I would like to thank Rick Knight for helping in the
identification of the sparrow. I met up with Rick this evening around
4:50pm at rock creek to try and get another look and grab a few photos. We
were not disappointed as the sparrow came out and sat on a limb for quit
some time. I was able to get a few good shots which I posted. Knight said I
better get a good look because this rarely happens where a Henslow's is
just posing for the camera. I hope it hangs around and affords others a
look. Thanks again Rick.

> Mike Sanders
>        BRISTOL BIRDS NET LIST
>
> MENDOTA HAWK MIGRATION DAILY AND SEASON TOTALS CAN
> BE FOLLOWED DAILY ON THE HAWK MIGRATION ASSOC. SITE

http://hawkcount.org/month_summary.php?rsitep6&PHPSESSID²eb5deb1ae5a23e55dcf
30171c5ba85

http://hawkcount.org/month_summary.php?rsite=706&PHPSESSID=b2eb5deb1ae5a23e55dcf30171c5ba85

http://www.google.com:80/calendar/embed?src=eHlvbjQyQGdtYWlsLmNvbQ