[Bristol-Birds] Highlights of BBC Ecuador Trip

  • From: JPMOYLE18@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 16:24:26 EDT

       The BBC trip to Ecuador (July 12 - July 22) was a great success!   The
eleven participants included eight NE Tennesseans and SW Virginians:  Fred
and Joann Alsop (Johnson City), Warren Bielenberg (Maryville), John Getgood
(Floyd,VA), Tom and Laverne Hunter (Lebonan,VA) and Dave and Diane Worley
(Cedar
Bluff, VA).  We all arrived in Quito on July 12 and were on our way on the
morning of the 13th.  Quito is at 9300' in the Andes, and on our first
excursion
we headed west towards the coast and lower elevations.  Sightings on our
western decent included: Rufous-bellied and Short-tailed Nighthawk;
Maroon-tailed
Parakeet & Red-billed Parrot;  White-collared Swift; 26 species of hummingbird
including the unbelievable Sword-billed Hummingbird and Sparkling Violetear,
Purple-bibbed Whitetip, Shining Sunbeam, Velvet-purple Coronet, Sapphire-vented
Puffleg, Tyrian Metaltail and Violet-tailed Sylph; Golden-headed Quetzel;
Board-billed Motmot; Toucan Barbet; Plate-billed Mountain-Toucan; Pacific
Hornero;
Montane Woodcreeper; Giant Antpitta; Golden-faced Tyrranulat; Smoke-colored
Pewee; Masked Water-Tyrant; Golden Crowned Flycatcher ; Black-and White Becard;
Andean Cock-of-the-Rock; Turquoise Jay; Great Thrush; White-capped Dipper;
Spectacled Whitestart; Cinereous Conebill; 17 varieties of tanager;
Rufous-colored Sparrow; and Peruvian Meadowlark.
       We than reversed our direction and went back past Quito to higher
elevations and the eastern slope above the Amazon.  In that portion of the trip
we
added:  Yellow-billed Pintail; Andean Teal; Black-chested Buzzard Eagle;
Carunculated Caracara, Andean Gull, White-capped parrot; San Isidro Owl (new
species, no scientific designation yet); Bronzy Inca; Chestnut-breasted
Coronet;
Black-tailed Trainbearer; Long-tailed Sylph;  Powerful Woodpecker; Pearled
Treerunner; Unicolored Tapaculo; Torrent Tyrannulet; Cinnamon Flycatcher:
Rufous-tailed Tyrrant; Inca Jay; Russet-crowned Warbler; Bluish Flowerpiercer;
Golden-rumped Euphonia; Saffron-crowned tanager; Blue-necked Tanager;
Plushcap;Yellow-browed Sparrow; Russet-backed Oropendola and Red-breasted
Blackbird among many
others.
       On the final day in Ecuador, several of us had late flights, so we
arranged for our guide, Norby Lopez, to take us up above 14,000' in the Andes
south of Quito on an additional excursion.  It was a beautiful day, and we we
saw
some great birds including two of the endangered Black-faced Ibis and an
amazing 14 Andean Condors.
       It was a great trip!  The group got along well together, the food was
excellent and the accomodations were comfortable and well located.  Our guide,
Norby,  was outstanding as a person and bird-finder!  The only short-coming
of the trip was the unseasonable rains that we had.  The bird-list total for
the group was 271 but would have been much higher if the rain had not been so
extreme.  In spite of this, we were blessed with some rare sightings including
one, as yet, unclassified species of owl!

John Moyle       Glen Alpine Road             Kingsport

Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for FanHouse Fantasy
Football today.