[Bristol-Birds] Herndon trip: dark morph Red-tail, Sandhills, Vesper...

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 22:59:23 EST

Field trip of Herndon (Elizabethton) Chapter TOS
Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 8am-5pm
Participants:  Don Holt, Don Miller, Dexter Newman, Linda Newman, Mike Poe
Sites:  Greene Co.: Green Rd., Matthews Lane(Bible Refuge), Jim Kirk Rd.,
                                 Pottertown Rd.(Walmart Distribution Center
ponds)
          Jefferson Co.: Douglas Lake(Taylor's Bend)

     Good birds were found today in spite of cold and drizzle.  Highlights as
follows:  On Green Rd. some time was spent examining a large flock (200 +) of
AMERICAN PIPITS at close range.  With them were at least 40 KILDEER.  Nearby
a large flock of RED-WINGED BLACKBIRDS included a few RUSTY BLACKBIRDS.
SAVANNAH SPARROWS watched from the weedy edge of the fields, and in the wooded
yard
and swamp nearby were at least 6 RED-HEADED WOODPECKERS, including a first
year bird still only partly red on top and with a black line across the white
wing patches.
     Sparrows were the focus at Joachim Bible Refuge Unit.  A lone VESPER
SPARROW posed in good view for a long look.  Other species were SWAMP SPARROW,
WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW, WHITE-THROATED SPARROW, FIELD SPARROW, SONG SPARROW, AND
EASTERN TOWHEE.  A YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER brought us close to a clean sweep
of woodpeckers (we missed the Hairy).  Our first RED-TAILED HAWK of the day
was followed with a female NORTHERN HARRIER and a "Red-shouldered Blue Jayhawk"
that kept messing with me.
     Traveling on Jim Kirk Rd., the normally wet fields we hoped would turn
up some shorebirds were dry, but a JUVENILE DARK MORPH RED-TAILED HAWK made the
side trip worthwhile.  It was harrassed as it sat in a tree by a juvenile
NORTHERN HARRIER, then as it flew off by an AMERICAN KESTREL.
     After lunch a trip down to Douglas Lake was an adventure as we searched
a vantage point we were unfamiliar with, on the Jefferson County side of the
lake in a bend in the river (Taylor Bend) below Dutch Bottoms.  We finally
found the place and saw another RED-HEADED WOODPECKER, many RING-BILLED GULLS,
over a hundred GREAT BLUE HERONS, HOODED MERGANSERS, and NORTHERN SHOVELERS.
Best
of all, we saw 5 SANDHILL CRANES standing together on a sandbar/mudflat!
     We finished the day back in Greene Co. at the Walmart Distribution
Center ponds.  NORTHERN PINTAIL (2 male, 1 female), GADWALL, AMERICAN WIGEON,
and
GREEN-WINGED TEAL rounded out our waterfowl list, while a DUNLIN and a WILSON'S
SNIPE were our only sandpipers of the day.
     Many thanks to Don Miller for his help in finding everything, sites as
well as birds.  And thanks to Rick Knight for providing Miller with the tip on
the site at Douglas Lake.  The full species list for the trip follows:

Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Gadwall
Mallard