[Bristol-Birds] Herndon Bird Club Woodcock Field Trip to Weir Dam March 8

  • From: "Roy & Robin Knispel" <rknispel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2014 22:00:28 -0500

At least 20 birders showed up at the Weir Dam this evening around 6 p.m. for
the Herndon Bird Club Field Trip for Woodcock.  Before the light faded,
participants observed
Canada Geese               ~6
Bufflehead                    10-12
Great Blue Heron
Kingfisher
Large flocks of Robins coming in to roost at dusk 100+
and the resident E. Screech Owl perched in the hole in the Sycamore Tree near
the bridge to Osceola Island.

Evidence of Woodcock was sparse, but one Woodcock was seen to fly across the
road near the washrooms by at least one participant, the peenting Woodcock call
was heard by several participants, and at least one Woodcock display flight was
heard by several participants at dusk.

I would like to thank club member Bryan Stevens for his presentation of photos
of birds of the area and club officers Kim Stroud and Charles Moore for running
the Tuesday, Mar. 4 meeting and to them and Rick Knight for planning this field
trip (while I was still enroute back to Johnson City from Texas because of a
two day delay of our flight back due to an ice storm in Dallas on Sunday, Mar
4.)  Thanks to all of you who attended for participating in the field trip.

Roy Knispel, Pres.
Lee & Lois Herndon Chapter, TOS