[Bristol-Birds] Herndon Bird Club Field Trip to Charleston, SC for Red-cockaded Woodpeckers May 30-June 1

  • From: Roy & Robin Knispel <rknispel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 21:34:36 -0400

Kim Stroud and Joe McGuiness are putting together a Red-cockaded Woodpecker (RCW) birding trip to the Charleston, SC area from May 30-June 1. Some of the club members know Jeff Chynoweth, a fellow Forest Service employee who will be moving to Michigan later this summer. Jeff would like to add a RCW to his life list before he heads to Michigan, so we are heading to Charleston to find him one. We plan to leave from the Forest Service office in Unicoi on Friday, May 30th at 9:30 am. We hope to return by 8pm on Sunday, June 1st. The focus will be to find a RCW for Jeff. Once that bird is located we hope to concentrate on some of the other birds we don't see too often such as Mississippi Kite, Painted Bunting, and Bachman's sparrow. Places we may visit include the Francis Marion National Forest, Caw Caw County Park, PItt Street Bridge, the Isle of Palms causeway, and the Sod Farm in Orangeburg. We plan to stay in the same hotel on Friday and Saturday night and expect the cost to be around $75/room/night +tax. If people would like to join us on this weekend adventure, they will need to commit by the nightjar survey on May 11th. Kim will be passing around a sign-up sheet at the May 6th meeting. Once we (Joe and Kim) have a head count on May 11th, we can make the final hotel arrangements. If anyone has any questions, they can contact Kim or Joe.

Thanks!   Joe

Contact Information for Joe and Kim
Joe McGuiness     Phone:  423-743-0065 email:  jkkmb@xxxxxxxxxxx
Kim Stroud             Phone:  423-542-5860 emai:  KA_stroud@xxxxxxxxx

We will discuss this trip at the meeting May 6, but Joe won't be able to attend--Kim will, however.

Roy Knispel, Pres.
Lee & Lois Herndon Chapter, TOS
Phone:  423-202-7802
Cell:       920-203-0332