[Bristol-Birds] Herndon Bird Club Field Activities for the next month

  • From: Roy & Robin Knispel <rknispel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 22:29:07 -0400

Tomorrow, Saturday, April 12--if you are coming to the Banquet--come early to Tipton-Haynes Historic Site to bird the grounds--We plan to eat at about 6 p.m.

Saturday, April 19 Field trip to Winged-Deer Park and Austin Springs. Meet at 7:30 a.m. at Winged Deer Park at the back of the parking lot at the beginning of the Disk-golf course--off Carroll Creek Road opposite the turn-off to the Kinch Boat Landing. We will bird the trails of Winged-Deer Park for a while for Warblers and other recently arrived migrants and check on the Eagles' nest across the river, then go to Austin Springs for water birds, shore birds, swallows and whatever else we can find there. Around noon, those who are interested in staying for lunch will find an appropriate restaurant for lunch in Johnson City. It will not be necessary to stay for lunch, and if you choose to spend only part of the morning, there will be a natural break between the time at Winged-Deer Park and Austin Springs. Bring shoes that can handle wet grass at Austin Springs. The weather prediction now is for a 10% chance of rain with partly cloudy skies on the 19th.

Saturday, April 26
Two-hour field trip at the Tipton-Haynes Historic Site from 8:00 to 10:00 a.m. led by club member Bryan Stevens. Target birds include recently arrived warblers and other migrants. South Roan Street, Johnson City

Also Saturday, April 26
Two club-led field trips as part of the Roan Mountain Spring Naturalist Rally. 6:30 a.m. early bird trip to Hampton Creek Cove. Meet at the Roan Mountain State Park Visitor Center. This trip will return to the State Park in time for the 8:30 a.m. trip 8:30 a.m. birding trip to Picnic Shelter #1 area and other birding sites up the mountain. Meet at the trip gathering site just north of the Park Cabins. This trip will end in time for participants to return to the conference center for the noon hour activities.

Saturday, May 3 Club annual Spring 5-county Bird Count. There are several groups--a separate announcement with group leaders and areas will follow in a few days.

Tuesday, May 6 Regular Club Meeting (a separate announcement will follow). This meeting will include compilation of the Spring Bird Count held the previous Saturday, and a short trip after the meeting to sites along Toll Branch Rd. behind Milligan College to listen for Chuck-Will's Widows. There will not be a presentation at this meeting because of the time committment to the Count Compilation.

Sunday, May 11 Tentative plan to do two of our Nightjar Surveys this evening--one in the Milligan area and the other in the Dry Creek area. These surveys will either be finalized (starting time and location) or rescheduled at the May 6 Club Meeting.

If you have any questions about any of these club activities, please feel free to call me or send email.
Thank you.

Roy Knispel, Pres.
Lee & Lois Herndon Chapter, TOS
Phone:  423-202-7802
Cell:       920-203-0332

---
is active.

MENDOTA HAWK MIGRATION DAILY AND SEASON TOTALS CAN
BE FOLLOWED DAILY ON THE HAWK MIGRATION ASSOC. SITE
http://hawkcount.org/month_summary.php?rsite=706&PHPSESSID=b2eb5deb1ae5a23e55dcf30171c5ba85

http://bristolbirdclub.org

Bristol Bird Club to facilitate communications between birders and bird clubs of Southwest Virginia and Northeast Tennessee. --------------------------------------------------