[Bristol-Birds] Greene Co. Leconte's Sparrow

  • From: dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 16:12:03 -0500

Wednesday 09 NOV 2005
Clyde Austin 4-H Center, Greene Co., TN
D. Holt

This morning I found a LECONTE'S SPARROW in a hayfield behind the 4-H Center,
getting a very good, long look at it from about thirty feet through 8X
binoculars, seeing plainly the striped nape, white crown stripe, orange
supercilium, streaked sides of the breast, and sharply pointed tail feathers
(it wins my vote for the prettiest sparrow species).  It was in the same field
where I found a Leconte's Sparrow last December on the 2004 Greeneville
Christmas Bird Count.  Unlike last year, this year the field has just recently
been bush-hogged.

This afternoon I took a class of sixth graders from Rogersville, TN into the
field to search for it.  We followed a low flying sparrow around the field from
spot to spot until we got a good look at it, but it turned out to be a Savannah
Sparrow that time.

Don Holt
Johnson City, TN