[Bristol-Birds] Greater White-fronted Goose in Hawkins County, Kingsport

  • From: Whoopinwiller@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 22:41:24 EST

17 DEC 02
Allandale Mansion Grounds
4444 West Stone Drive
Kingsport, TN

Today at lunch I found a Greater White-fronted Goose feeding in a field with
around 58 Canada Geese. Having surveyed the Sibley guide I gave Wallace
Coffey a call and he in turn phoned Don Holt and others - both Wallace and
Don were able see the small goose feeding at close range (30 to 150 feet).
The goose was identified by the namesake white around the base of the bill,
orange feet and bill, brownish overall color with darker barring on the chest
and white on the belly and tip of the tail.
Northeast TN records are limited, I believe Wallace said 5 or 6 previously.
This may be the first record for Hawkins County.

'Til we bird again

Rack Cross
Blountville, TN

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Chapter, Blue Ridge
and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958