[Bristol-Birds] Great Blue Herons in Damascus

  • From: "T Horsch" <thorsch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Bird List" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:08:28 -0500

As I passed the Great Blue Heron Rookery on Shady Ave in Damascus this
AM about 10:30, I saw no less than 25 birds in the air above the nests.
I stopped at the new Fireman's Hall to make a quick count and observed 8
nests with my naked eye, all with birds sitting in them and clearly
visible from the road. What an amazing site! I think Don Holt may have
counted 17 nest here last year. I'd bet there are at least that many
still here.

These birds frequent the shoals at our cottages and I have been startled
several times at night when I've gone over to "make the rounds" and
heard them calling as I approached the area where they like to hunt. I
often observe them flying over the ridge between our cottages and their
roosting area on the other side both in the morning and late in the
evening.

Great Blue Herons seem to be thriving in Damascus. Come on over and have
a look! Drop by SunDog Outfitter and say hello and I'll point you to our
best new restaurant in town too! (think homemade cinnamon buns the size
of a babies head!)

Best of Birds,
Tom Horsch
Damascus, VA