[Bristol-Birds] Great Blue Herons at the nest

  • From: "Rick Phillips" <sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 10:21:42 -0500

Great Blue Herons were busy gathering and adding twigs to their nests at a new
rookerie on Netherland Inn Rd in Kingsport this morning.  One walker on the
greenbelt trail that passed near the nest island stated that the birds were
coming down to the riverbank within 20 feet of him as he was walking and
gathering twigs, apparently paying him no mind.

I went there this morning to get a couple of quick photos.  I stood there in
the early morning chill fascinated as I watched the large birds interacting
with each other at the nest through my scope.  I got some pics and was cold and
hungry and decided to pack up the equipment and roll on down the road to the
Burger King for a biscuit.  I walked back up the trail to the car, put the
equipment away, and got in and started the car to drive off with visions of ham
biscuits drifting through my head.  As I looked up one last time straight out
the front car window at the river a large, heavy brown bird sailed by at about
eye level over the river.  A double take and I found myself looking at a superb
view of an adult Bald Eagle now slightly down river and circling around the
rookerie.  The bird crossed the river and perched magestically in a large
sycamore, brilliant white head gleaming in the early morning sun.  I just about
busted a leg getting the scope and camera equipment back out of the car.  By
the time I got ready to run back down to the river, the bird had flown out of
sight on the other side of the island.  I got down there as fast as I could
with all the stuff I was carrying.  Another fellow was already there and
putting away his camera.  I asked if he saw the eagle. He said he did and that
it had flown down, caught a fish, and sat for a moment on the gravel bar below
the island, then flew off down the river toward the confluence of the N. and S.
Forks of the Holston.  I could just imagine this view in my scope and camera
and all the ooohs and ahhhs that would bring from viewers on Don Carriers new
email list for bird photos.  Well, my imagination is all that will be posted
today as the eagle was gone before one shot could be had.  Still it made for a
really exciting morning!  Oh well, here are herons at the nest this morning on
the Holston.

Rick

Rick Phillips
Kingsport, Tennessee