[Bristol-Birds] Great Blue Heron colony at mouth of Copper Creek - Scott Co., VA

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 20:46:34 -0400

Richard Kretz called tonight (24 April 2014) to report

a colony of five Great Blue Heron nests at the mouth

of Copper Creek where it flows into the Clinch River in

Scott Co., VA.  When traveling north from Gate City on

US 421, US 58 and Rt. 23, you exit down under the two

towering railroad bridges built over Copper Creek by

the Clinchfield Railroad (now CSX) and the Southern

Railway (now Northfolk and Southern). Turn onto Copper

Creek Rd under the bridges. The nests are a short distance

up that road and up on the left.  Richard says his wife,

Tammy, located the colony about three years ago. This

seems very familiar but I can't find any record for this.

There are other rookeries along the Clinch River in

Scott County and Russell County.  Fishermen have

reported a colony on the North Fork Holston River at

Hiltons but I have not been able to find it nor get

any photos for confirmation.